Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Highlighted Hairstyles in 2010

Highlighted Hairstyles in 2010

I keep seeing a trend among celebrities and women every time I turn on the TV: short to medium hairstyles with subtle highlights. It makes me feel good that I’m in style (except for the subtle highlights part) because I keep my hair short ritually. I’m one of those women a short hairstyle looks good on. My head is apple-shaped (I’m not kidding; my nickname was “Applehead” growing up) so my hair style is flat, and my bangs are cut so that they’re always side swept. The left side of my hair is longer than the right, but both sides are kept flat to my ears and the sides of my face. Sounds crazy, but it looks stunning. If I do say so myself.

I love it, but you’ll probably never see anyone on the red carpet wearing it. I don’t know if that’s a good thing or a bad thing, as I don’t want a million clones of my haircut walking around. And you probably don’t either. So while I’ll let you in on the highlighted hairstyles of this year, I want you to take a chance and personalize it to you.

Short cuts are in, of course. The great thing about short hair is that you can play with it. You might think it’s stuck in that particular style, but it’s not. When I first got my hair cut it was super short, almost boyish in length. But it’s grown out in that exact same style and now it looks better with some length to it. If you get your hair cut short, and are unhappy with it, remember that it’s just hair. It’ll grow back.

No one said you had to keep a short haircut either. You can always grow it out to shoulder length. Medium hair-length is all the rage this year, because it’s just so easy to maintain and take care of, and can be worn in any style you choose. Remember, the key to personalizing it is making it your own, so talk to your stylist about what you want done, and enjoy your new hairstyle.